Friday, February 13, 2009

Day Twelve - In Limbo

One of the unfortunate things about traveling is...traveling. What the hell am I talking about, you ask. This vegan must have gone mad. I'm talking airports, people. They suck. HARD. They take forever, are a royal pain in the arse, and are very boring. I'm currently sitting in a cafe at one such location named Kerry Airport. It's a small airport not far from the town of Killarney where I have spent the last few days. In about 2 hours I will be aboard a plane transporting me to London. What is inconvenient about that is the latest bus I could catch here arrived just after 6:00 PM, a full three hours before my flight. So here I am, blogging to pass the time.

I'm very excited to be moving on to my second country. Ireland has been sweet to me, she is a very kind mistress. Yet I have been eager the last few days to move on to something new. Sorry girl, it isn't you, it's me. I swear! On my walk to the bus station I couldn't help but have a spring in my step, to sound a bit cliché (this UK keyboard layout on my netbook makes it easy to do this character: é, neat!). Killarney was getting a bit stale. If one isn't doing tours or venturing out of the city to see the sights there is not much left to do except go to pubs. And drinking every night gets awful expensive, real quick. So I laid low for a few days in order to save some money. This is another reason a change of location would be good for me.

I have heard negative opinions of London from some Europeans but I have a feeling I am going to like it. That feeling may be in large part thanks to my contact in London, Rhea. She has been kind enough to invite me into her home, without personally knowing me or having met me in person (thanks Rhea!). She even offered to show me a few things while I'm there. I am still constantly surprised by the kindness that I have been shown by so many people while on my Odyssey. The wonderful treatment I have received from people that are basically strangers has reaffirmed my belief that humans are naturally kind creatures, it is society that corrupts them. It's a damn shame.

While in the hostel today killing time I watched many backpackers arrive. Their packs were fucking huge! I only use naughty words in order to emphasize the size of these things. I saw one on some kids back that I swear I could stand upright in, have it zipped up around me, and then this kid could carry me around. I cannot explain how grateful I am of the research I conducted before leaving. My choice of pack couldn't have been better. I couldn't imagine lugging those huge bags around. I just laugh as I see them struggling trying to lift them up. That isn't mean, is it? I do laugh quietly if that helps.

If my memory wasn't completely shot, I would say goodbye with the Gaelic Irish word I learned a few days ago. But it's lost in the far reaches of my mind. You'll just have to be content with a regular goodbye.

Goodbye.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vance! So much to remember! It's ok if you don't know the Gaelic word for good-bye...We get it...I think you are gonna like London...a big city more life...so much to do...I can't wait to hear all about it! Do you think you'll see some museams? I don't remember the museam...but one of the main ones in London, has Williams Shakepear's written poem or play in his own handwriting, and right next to it, is one of John Lennon's written song. How cool is that! I hope you do like London...I like big cities myself and what they have to offer! Until we hear from you next...Here's to you Vegan Wonderlust...Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vancer, love blogging and I love you - how are you doing with finding variety with your food?

    ReplyDelete

Where I've Been.