Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Day Thirty Seven - TRAGEDY!

So I just might have to kill myself. Really. No, not really. I may have damaged my iPod beyond all hope today when I went cycling in the rain. Apparently my waterproof jacket from REI is not actually waterproof. Maybe the jacket never was supposed to be waterproof but I was under the impression that anything covered by it would be safe.

I had my iPod in a pocket of the jacket, not even listening to it. I brought just in case I wanted to but never felt like it. When I got home I pulled it out and was surprised to see it quite damp. Weird, this jacket is supposed to keep everything dry, I thought. It didn't look that wet so I wiped it off and turned it on to test it out. Big mistake. After some research on the interwebs I discovered that the worst action to take when suspecting iPod damage from water is to turn it on. Of course, that is what most people naturally do to see if the device survived the torrent. I didn't even suspect that my iPod was damaged, it didn't look that wet.

The best course of action to take will be to let it sit without using it and pray to Steve Jobs that it will live to make me dance another day. The odd aspect of the situation though is that it plays music just fine. I can browse through all my artists and play anything on there. But Smitty, the name I christened my iPod with when I got it, thinks that he is constantly plugged in and being charged, when in reality he is just laying on the floor not connected to anything. He also will not do anything when connected to my computer. Hopefully that symptom will go away after a day or so. Or else I don't know what I'm going to do without any music.

I suppose it's not the end of the world. My trip will continue, honestly not changing much. It will just be devoid of music. A terrible fate indeed, a prospect which saddens me immensely. I could buy a new iPod, at great cost, and use my netbook to put music on it. That would be a solution in a way but not something that I want to do. I do not want to spend money that should be for my trip to buy a replacement iPod. Ah, life is cruel. For now, I'm going to wait it out. Your prayers for Smitty's speedy and complete recovery would be very much appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there Smitty! Godspeed you black iPod!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks dude! Good luck to you and your pod man.

    Keely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why God why? Maybe there is some sort of priest or bishop or something that could pray over it or do an exorcism...exercise the water right out of it!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete

Where I've Been.